Come Camping This Summer!
2017 Summer Camper Application
Download to complete pages 1-3 in Acrobat Reader.
Then print, sign and return to YouthCARE
A crew (8 campers 13-18 years old and 2 adult leaders) in the
last stretch of their three-day canoe trip on the St. Croix River.
Session 1: Boys
Session 2: Girls
Session 3: Boys
Session 4: Girls
Session 5: Boys
Session 6: Boys
Session 7: Girls
Session 8: Girls
Session 9: Coed
About the Program
Located an hour north of the Twin Cities on the St. Croix River, Camp Sunrise is a year-round outdoor education program focused on bringing together Minneapolis and Saint Paul youth, 13-18 years old, from diverse ethnic, racial, and cultural backgrounds to live and work in an outdoor community. Since 1974, Camp sunrise has been providing urban youth the opportunity to experience a residential wilderness camp at no cost, including transportation and any equipment to participate in camp activities.
Each summer 250-300 youth participate in Camp Sunrise's summer and school year activities. In addition to week-long summer sessions, Camp Sunrise hosts leadership retreats and urban outdoor recreation activities during the school year.
Awards and Recognition
In addition to numerous media features, Camp Sunrise has received significant recognition for its impact on the community over the years.
- 2014 Certificate of Recognition from Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton for participation in the Adopt-a-River program on the St. Croix River
- 2008 Access to the Outdoors Award from the Parks & Trails Council of Minnesota
- 2000 Nonprofit Mission Award for Anti-Racism from the Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- 1993 National Park Service Certificate of Appreciation for outstanding contributions to the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway
- 1991 American Red Cross Community Service Award
- 1990 Minnesota Clean River Project Certificate of Commendation from Minnesota Governor Rudy Perpich
- 1989 President's Environmental Youth Award from President George H. Bush
- 1988 VIP Volunteers in Parks Program from St. Croix Wild and Scenic River
- 1987 President's Citation for Private Sector Initiatives from President Ronald Reagan
- 1986 Distinguished Service Award from the Mayor of Minneapolis
- 1985 Eleanor P. Eells Award for Program Excellence from the Fund for the Advancement of Camping