About the Program
YouthLEAD (Youth Leadership, Education, and Diversity) provides consistent, high-quality out-of-school time activities to develop the education, employment, and leadership skills of youth, 13-18 years old. Activities include Homework Help, Teen Tech, Arts & Culture, Health & Wellness, and College Knowledge. Leaders participating in the Youth Advisory Council plan events for their peers, fundraise, and provide input in organization decisions. YouthLEAD serves teens at program sites across Minneapolis and St. Paul including Little Earth of United Tribes, McDonough Homes, Mt. Airy Homes, and Conway Recreation Center.
The Community Service Stars component of YouthLEAD employs youth part time to address community needs with local nonprofit organizations while developing employment and financial literacy skills.
At the end of the 2014-15 program year, YouthCARE staff asked YouthLEAD participants, "What do you like best about YouthCARE?" Below are some of the responses:
- "You can be yourself."
- "Meeting new people."
- "It kept me busy and I learned things about my community by being involved."
- "The people are welcoming."
- "No judgement against you."
- "Things that we learn that will help us in the future."
- "Helps you find jobs and other things to do."
- "You get to know more about your career options."
- "College visits."
- "How the staff care about me."
- "Doing community service."
- "The field trips."
- "It helped me be a more understanding person."
- "Always learning new things."
- "What I like best about YouthCARE is that it feels like a big family."